Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Satanic Mechanics Will Rock You (if they ever exist)

Yep, you caught me - I'm procrastinating. I should be novel writing, but instead I'm blog writing. These be words that do not count.

But that's ok, because I'm well on track with my 50,000 word target. In fact, it's going surprisingly, almost alarmingly well. I'm expecting it all to derail at some point, the delicate fictional world I've built up to come crashing down. Someone will say, "But aren't dwarves genetically predisposed not to be musical?" and that will be it. No more novel about a White-Stripes-ish band called The Satanic Mechanics, drummer/keyboard/songwriter: Sam (a Kiwi dwarf), singer/audience-seducer: Lola (a trainwreck). Mind you, Sam and Lola haven't even met yet, let alone formed the band. So who know? It could still go off in another direction entirely. I could still write that zombie novel that's in my heart! Or Sam and Mohammed could fall in love? I know there's something there - what dwarf just admires another man's eyelashes without it meaning something? Better try and keep them apart.

So, NaNoWriMo aside, nothing much to report. It's gone cold again, while in Mt Beauty where the parentals were for the weekend, it was 30+ÂșC. Ah, global warming. Thank you, Mr Howard.

News from the Tobster is this: He's become a bit of a burrower. Under carpets that is. To chase corks. Or to just get from one side of the rug to the other in the more difficult route possible. So now the big fugly brown rug that covers most of the floor in my room has a cork roughly somewhere near the middle that I can't get out. I keep sending Toby under there to get it, but he only ends up pushing it further in. I will have to pull the whole thing up in order to stop stubbing my toe on it. But I was thinking about doing that anyway - ripping it up and banishing it to under the house or in the garage - because it seriously is a FUGLY rug. And we all know what the word 'fugly' means. Yes, fucking ugly!

So, back to my other procrastinatey activities, like perusing the NaNoWriMo forums. Apparently some people have already written 50,000+ words. In 7 days. How? I don't understand. Is it called cheating?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 10, 2006 12:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they don't have work to go to, cats to look after, carpets to munch - i mean, rip up - and newly homecome friends to eat cheese and asparagus with.

does sam have a brother called dean? if not, WHY NOT! and did you make him a dwarf just because sam winchester is like 9ft tall?

i'm looking forward to reading your masterpiece!

 
At November 14, 2006 5:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the carpet in my house is hideous.
i want to rip it up but i dont because
a)then i feel my room would be even more icy icecaps than it currently it
and b)i investigated the possibility of ripping it up one day and discovered it is very much attached to the floor and thus the porcess required to rip it up requires much too much effort and has the strong possibility of Ending In Tears.
maybe i should get me some corks and try to get my neighbor's cat (monster munch) to chase them for my amusement when he visits.
i want cheese and asparagus (the former of which i have been unable to have in my home for a MONTH until today when the glorious gods that are the delivery people form john lewis delivered our new fridge oh the joy oh the love dorothy and i are so excited about it!)
i want newly homecome friends to eat said cheese with.
i want to read your novel! quick, write it, send me a copy.
i hope all is well. sorry this is an uninspiring comment. i am too cold and obsessed with food to be anything other than uninspiring im afraid.
i have a phone card now so ill try to call sometime.
miss you lots and heaps and more
erin xoxoxoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home