Thursday, November 30, 2006

Yay! A novel!

Eep! I did it! I got to 50,000 words! In 30 insane days! I won! And it's also only a couple of chapters from the end of the damn thing. That is, depending on how neatly I was to wrap it all up or if I want to go with the idea I came up with today, which was: an alien spacecraft crashlands and kills all the characters. The End. No, it's not a scifi novel. Yes, I was watching Dr Who yesterday after I got to the 50K mark.

Right now I am so tired I want to gauge my eyes out with a spoon. And tomorrow I have to work my delightful 11 hour day at the shop, so no sleep marathons for me yet.

But it feels good to have written it. I've never written anything so big before, never stuck with characters for quite so long, never enjoyed them quite so much. I want to finish it, then print it out and start editing. Or at least, read it through to see how it reads. Because that's what I've not done much of: re-reading and editing. Slows down the writing process. And in Nanowrimo, it's all about speeeeeeed. So, no editing-as-you-go, which was my previous writing style. Damn slow, it was. Now I just write and move on. And when I happen to go back to check a name or a fact or something, I'm sometimes pleasantly surprised to read over bits of it. Did I write that? I think, I don't remember.

So I urge any of you who think you might one day like to write a novel, then do nanowrimo, next year, with me! It's such a rush. It's awesome. It really just makes you write. And isn't that what writing is all about? Who would have thought?!

Plus, I already have an idea for next year's novel: a group of survivors after a zombie apocalypse, a saviour figure rising from the dust: the Great Zombie Jesus! But is he (or she?) a zombie or a human bean? Half-half? And what if he (or she?) shags the Judas figure? Am I saying Jesus was a Great Big Man Loving Man Lover?

Yes, I think I am.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At December 01, 2006 10:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Congratulations!

I want to read this slaughterhouse 6! Or...i mean...what is the novel called again?

 
At December 02, 2006 8:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAYES! see you at breakfast tomorrow.

and remember, kids, livejournal is the place to be for fannish delights. COME TO THE DARK SIDE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home